Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mexico, 1950

Here are some of the pictures that Simeon Leland (see posts below) took of Mexico in 1950:



I've showed some of the photos of more rural areas to people who have traveled throughout Mexico more than I have, and they suggest that, based on the clothing that people are wearing, they were probably taken in Oaxaca or Chiapas. This guy, judging by his pants, has been to Los Angeles or thereabouts.



The Zocalo, Mexico's main square:



Below you can see what the same space looks like in 2007. Fewer trees, no cars, more people, a metro stop that you can't see. Another thing that you can't see: the Templo Mayor of the Mexica / Aztecs, which was thought to be lost but in fact is right next to this cathedral. It wasn't found until the late 1970s, so although you can't see it in either photo, it wouldn't have been there at all in 1950.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my experience at the Zocalo in July '07. I can attest to the sky being blue, the air being quite breathable. I was also amazed by the history beneath the square. The Spanish literally covered the huge Aztec temple of Tenochtitlan, on top of which they built their own architectural symbols of religious and political power. The Zocalo represents a significant turning point in the history of Mexico, which I learned to appreciate during my visit to see Patrick, Nicole and Mexico City.