Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Photos from Uruguay (II)


Book shopping was a real pleasure in Argentina, which teems with small shops selling used material, and a few beautiful bookstores of reasonably priced new books. But the best of them all was in the Ciudad Vieja of Montevideo, at Linardi y Risso. The store sends material to many university libraries in the US, as well as the Library of Congress, as a sort of publishing liaison for the Southern Cone. Nicole caught me in a private moment with an old magazine from the Congress for Cultural Freedom.

Book shopping in Santiago, by comparison, is expensive and lousy. (But still, of course, full of unexpected pleasures. Oh, and one expected pleasure that I learned of recently: my name in a footnote of a book about Borges written by a professor I had when I took a class on Borges at Stanford.)

No comments: